Many members of our HESA community actively participate in professional development. Please find announcements about recent publications and upcoming conference presentations below. To submit a publication or conference presentation for the next newsletter, please e-mail Program Coordinator Dr. Gudrun Nyunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chen, Y., & Hu, X. (2020). The nudge to finish up: A national study of community college near-completion students. Research in Higher Education. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11162-020-09613-9
Hu, X., Fernandez, F., & Gandara, D. (2020). Are donations bigger in Texas? Analyzing the impact of a policy to match donations to Texas’ emerging research universities. American Educational Research Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.3102/0002831220968947
Kortegast, C. A. (2020). Disclosure, inclusion, and consequences for LGBTQ student affairs professionals. In M. W. Sallee (Ed.) Creating sustainable careers in student affairs: What ideal worker norms get wrong and how to make it right. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
Koo, K., Nyunt, G., & Wang, B. (2021). Who spends too much time online?: Associated factors of internet addiction among international college students in the U.S. Journal of International Students, 11(1). https://www.ojed.org/index.php/jis/article/view/2063
Webinar Series: De-centering the Ideal Worker in Student Affairs
Dr. Carrie Kortegast will be a panelist for the 1st workshop in the series called “Ideal Worker Norms: Why You Feel Like You Are Working all the Time and What to Do About It”
Date and Time: Feb. 9, 2021 from 3:00-4:30 PM ET
ACPA’s Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development Webinar: Experiences of International Students at Community Colleges
Dr. Jacob Cushing (Class of 2020), current master’s student T’Keya Hicks, and Dr. Gudrun Nyunt will present a Webinar on the experiences of international students at community colleges.
This webinar is free and open to the public; no registration required.
Date and Time: Feb. 24 from 2 PM EST (1 PM CST)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 862 7708 3479
Congratulations to the many HESA community members who presented at the NIU One Day Conference, which was held virtually on Feb. 3-4, 2021:
- Completing a Successful Student Affairs Job Search presented by doctoral student Zac Birch, Assistant Director for Student Leadership, Housing and Residential Services
- NIU Students’ Well-Being During COVID-19 presented by Clinical Assistant Professor and HESA Program Coordinator Dr. Gudrun Nyunt, doctoral student Jeanine McMillen, and master’s students Kaley Oplt and Vanessa Beckham
- Cross-Cultural Supervision presented by doctoral students Monique Bernoudy, Assistant Vice President for Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Lauren Teso-Warner, Associate Director for Housing and Residential Services
- Understanding and Practicing Equity presented by doctoral student Jocelyn Santana, Director, Social Justice Education
- Doing Anti-Racist Work: Learning, Understanding, and Putting into Practice presented by master’s student Jasmine Ivy, Graduate Research Assistant, ADEI, and Cristian Baeza, Graduate Research Assistant, Counseling and Higher Education.
- Curriculum Beyond Classrooms: Creating Intentional Learning Models in Student Affairs presented by doctoral student Zac Birch, Assistant Director for Student Leadership, and master’s students Trevor Hansen, Graduate Hall Director, and Alex Astiazaran, Graduate Hall Director
- Bold and Courageous Leadership Strategies for Higher Education presented by doctoral student Dawn Brown, Clinical Assistant Professor in the College of Health and Human Sciences.
- First-Generation Benchmark Research presented by master’s student Ana Velazquez with colleagues Raia Arbisi and Kayla Falcon, who all serve as Graduate Assistants of Applied Research and Recruitment Practices for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
American Physical Therapy Association 2021 Combined Sections Meeting (virtual):
- Dawn Brown, a doctoral student, will present, More than the money: A framework for professional employment decision making on Feb. 9.
2021 Illinois Physical Therapy Association Revitalize Conference (virtual):
- Dawn Brown, a doctoral student, will present Transformative leadership in physical therapy education and clinical practice: More than a title on March 13.
2021 ACPA – College Educators International Annual Convention (virtual, March 1-17, 2021):
- Dr. Nyunt and her colleague Dr. E. Niehaus from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will present a Methods workshop geared toward researchers, staff engaged in assessment efforts, and professionals interested in assessment titled, Identifying meaningful individual-level changes in student learning and development, on March 15.