Myoung Jung, associate professor of Early Childhood Education in the Department of Special and Early Education, is one of NIU’s three recipients of the 2019 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award.
Initiated in 1966, the awards honor excellent undergraduate teaching at the university, encourage improvement of instruction and promote discussion among members of the university community on the subject of teaching.
Undergraduate students play a significant role in nominating and endorsing faculty for this award.
Recipients will be honored from 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 25, in the Altgeld Auditorium. A reception will be held beginning at 3 p.m. followed by a recognition ceremony at 3:45 p.m.
* * *
Katy Jaekel, assistant professor in the Department of Counseling, Adult and Higher Education, is one of two recipients of the Howard and Millie Eychaner Award for 2019.
Jaekel was honored during the 25th Annual Pride Dinner and Awards Banquet for advocacy on LGBTQ+ issues on campus.
The event is sponsored by the Presidential Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, Prism, Transitions and the Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality.
* * *
Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- Chynar Amanova – Counseling, Adult and Higher Education
- Mia Bechtold – Special and Early Education
- Allison Einhouse – Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Charles Fabrikant – Leadership, Educational Psychology and Foundations
- Karisa Fuerniss – Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Bernadette Heitschmidt – Counseling, Adult and Higher Education
- Maureen Hogan – Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
- Christopher Kraner – Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
- Carolyn Little – Counseling, Adult and Higher Education
- Jennifer Shelton – Curriculum and Instruction
- Kristina Wilkerson – Counseling, Adult and Higher Education
Diversifying Higher Education Faculty in Illinois (DFI) Fellowship
- Susana Das Neves – Counseling, Adult and Higher Education
* * *
Jan Marie Solano, a junior Middle Level Teaching and Learning major, is among 11 NIU undergraduate students chosen to share their research at the “Posters Under the Dome” event next month at the Illinois State Capitol.
Solano, who is mentored by Jennifer Johnson and Donna Werderich, will present on “Educate Local: The Clinical Urban Plunge (CUP).”
The event takes place from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Thursday, May 2, in the South Hall of the Capitol building in Springfield. Watch Ed News for a more in-depth look at Solano and her project.
* * *
Steve Builta began a new career April 16 as a staff development specialist with the Dixon office of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, putting to work his many years as chief of the volunteer fire department in Hillcrest and on the staff of the Illinois Fire Service Institute.