By Steve Builta
As we near the end of 2016, it’s time for one of my annual tasks. Each year, I take the printed NIU holiday calendar and manually transfer the information from the printed document into my calendar. While this project doesn’t really take that long, I’ve long wished for an automated way for those dates to just show up in my calendar.
Recently, NIU announced that the holiday calendar was available for import into your Outlook calendar. If you would like to have the 2017 NIU holidays show up on your Outlook Calendar, you will need to do the following. Please note this works for both Windows and Mac machines!
1. Download the Holiday Calendar file. It’s available at: http://www.niu.edu/doit/services/messaging/2016-17-university-holidays.ics
2. Next, you’ll need to go to https://o365.niu.edu and login. Even though you are making this change in the online version of Outlook, the change will appear in your desktop application as well.
3. From the main o365 menu click on the Calendar icon.
4. Click on Add Calendar menu which is located at the top of the Calendar screen.
5. From the Add Calendar menu, choose From file.
6. The Import a Calendar screen will now appear. From this screen, you will now be asked to Choose an .ICS file. This is the file that you downloaded in Step 1 of this process. Choose Browse and locate the file.
7. After locating the file, click the Save button at the top of the Import a Calendar screen.
That’s it! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. You can always reach us either in the Technology Oasis or by contacting ceduhelp.